The Department approved of a school in Carrick in 1952 and it was situated in The Red House on the Teelin Road until 1958 when a new two roomed school was opened with fifty nine students. 1959 seen further refurbishment, as well an increase in staff and pupil numbers. Enrolment grew over the years with rooms being rented to meet the growing demand.
In the 1969/70 school year five prefabs were added to the school. At this time there were 196 students and fifteen teachers and rooms in the Old National School were still being used.
During the 1973/74 school year a further four prefabs were added to the Carrick Vocational School as enrolment increased. In 1982/83 Phase 1, comprising a science laboratory and engineering room, was built, followed by a substantial new school building which was officially opened by the then Minister for Education, Mary O Rourke, T.D., in 1990. The name of the school was changed to Coláiste na Carraige in 2011.
In 2012 further extensive works took place which saw a new music room added and renovations of the administrative facilities.